- 1 cup very strong coffee (made in a French press)
- 1 cup white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- Combine coffee, sugar and salt in saucepan.
- Attach candy thermometer to saucepan.
- Over medium-high heat with light stirring, boil and reduce to between the thread and soft-ball stage. With my thermometer, I need to take the sauce closer to soft-ball, but candy thermometers vary, so you will need to find the best consistency for you.
- Stir in espresso powder.
- Pour into heat-resistant bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cool completely in refrigerator. The sauce can be stored several days in the refrigerator.
- candy thermometer
- French press
- measuring spoon (tablespoon)
- heat-resistant storage bowl
- plastic wrap
Yields about 1.25 cups.
Preparation time is approximately 20 minutes.
I make very strong coffee by doubling the amount of coffee I usually use in the French press.